Rustoleum Painted Countertops and Floors: Months Later

Remember when I painted my kitchen countertops?

painted kitchen countertops

Remember when I experimented with the same paint on my bathroom’s linoleum floors (and gave me a break from the horrible yellowed pattern)?

Want to know which one held up better?

I’ve put both the kitchen countertop and master bathroom floor through pretty rigorous testing (walking on, cutting on, dropping things on, etc), and here is what they both look like after several months of being subjected to Ugg-duck use:

painted kitchen countertops

Countertops

Scratch marks:  While I don’t think it’s wise to cut directly onto your countertops (especially if you’ve painted them, which might leave little flakes of paint in your food), I did try out a knife or two on the countertop surface.  Charlie had a respiratory infection which required that I give her half a pill every eight hours (my guess is that they decided on half of a pill instead of just making one pill=one dose simply because they think someone cutting up pills for a dog is hilarious).  Being the lazy person I am at 3 AM cutting such pills, I just used a large knife to snap them in half, straight on top of the counter.  As you can see, the painted surface of the countertop did not survive:

Paper residue:  Sinks get wet.  Sometimes paper is nearby.  Or a plastic grocery bag with ink on it.  Either way, sometimes something gets wet and will sit on your countertop.  And if you’ve painted your countertop, you might find that the ink or wet residue leaves a few blemishes behind.  And these blemishes do not come off of the paint surface easily.  Consider them stuck unless you want to scrape the paint off and reapply.  Given the strong smell of the paint, the fact that I’m replacing the countertops anyway, and my laziness (reason #3 is pretty persuasive), I’m not going to bother.

Floors

Scrach marks:  Maybe it’s because it’s the floor, but the scratch marks were far less noticeable on the bathroom linoleum.  It also handled the onslaught of dropped tools (taping knives, screwdrivers, etc) as I began tearing at the wallpapered walls and old miniblinds.

Paper residue:  Wallpaper removal is a messy, sticky, unpleasant task, and cleanup wasn’t really a priority if a small amount got stuck to the floor.  So that means the wet pieces of paper stuck to the painted surface in the same fashion as what I saw on the countertops.  Perhaps it’s because I was less worried about the surface, but I didn’t notice it as much.  Cleanup was just as difficult to get the little dried flecks of paper off of the floor as the countertops, but I guess I just didn’t care.  What wasn’t difficult to get up?  The blops (I use “blops” instead of blobs because that’s pretty much the sound it makes hitting the floor) of joint compound that was indiscriminately thrown about the room in an attempt to get a smooth finish on the wall.

My thoughts

I like the way the paint bonded better to the floor than the surface on the countertop., but that doesn’t necessarily mean that either option is really any better than a temporary fix for an eyesore that you eventually plan to replace.  I think that a lot of it has to do with the texture of the materials that they were sticking to; the countertops were a smoother, harder surface than the soft linoleum, which may have influenced the ability for the paint to fully stick without scraping off so easily from the floors (both were thoroughly cleaned with the same cleaning agents and the same roller/brush combo use to paint, so I don’t think it was an application issue).

As for the paper, I simply don’t think this product stands a chance against glue/paper residue when it comes to long-term use.  I mean, I absentmindedly sort bills, tear off can labels (ex: Campbell’s soup cans have recipes on the back, which I try to look at before throwing them out), and in general, just toss things onto the countertop without much concern.  The paint is meant to stick to even the most difficult of surfaces (laminate, melamine, etc), so it’s understandable that something like a can label doesn’t stand a chance for easy removal; once it’s stuck, it’s stuck for good.  Bonding ability is the reason I bought the paint, but is also unfortunately the reason that I wouldn’t recommend it to a friend because it can’t possibly distinguish between desirable surfaces to stick to and undesirable ones.

Granted, this experiment cost me $20, and I was glad that I did it.  But if this were the permanent solution for my counters, I think I’d be disappointed that retouching would be necessary, and so often for a high traffic area like the kitchen counter.  I still think this product is a good one if you are looking for a temporary change and just can’t stand to see those 80s floors anymore, but think twice about a one stop solution here.  Rustoleum sells a more expensive kit for painting countertops that I chose not to try, but is probably a more viable permanent solution if replacing really isn’t an option.

And of course, these opinions are based solely on my own counters and floors, so they may not even have the same results as other people might experience.  If you’ve used this paint yourself, feel free to weigh in.  What did you like about the results?  Did it hold up better for you than it did for me?  Did you notice a paper issue like I did?

** I was not compensated in any way for using this product.  I just like trying out new things and saving my readers the uncertainty of trying out an unknown product.  Word of mouth is the sincerest form of advertisement, and you will get nothing but 100% honesty from products that I try.**

Comments

Thanks for this update and writeup! I'm always interested to hear how DIY solutions like this hold up to daily wear-and-tear, especially in high-traffic areas (like flooring and the kitchen countertops).

~Chelsea

Thank you for sharing your findings, I've been debating using the rustoleum system on my kitchen counter tops for a while now so this was a very helpful post. I never even thought about paper residue and stains, maybe I'm just better off saving for new countertops.

@RebeccaFor me, knowing what I know now, it's a bigger deal for the cure time (3 full days) and the stink factor that would keep me from doing countertops again. The $20 is a great price for a quick change, no matter how long it takes to save up for those new counters. But I'd do it in a heartbeat with ugly floors. Yellow linoleum is just THAT awful!

I'm living in an apartment where they painted the counter tops right before we moved in. I'm not sure what they used, but it could have been the same paint you tried. It's been almost two months and the counters still smell toxic. I've tried scrubbing them, airing out the apartment, etc, but can't get rid of the smell. Did you have the same issue? What did you do?

@Staci
    Are you sure it's just the counters that smell? Could it be from other sources (the smell from the paint on the counter could have soaked into the nearby carpet in the way that odors can seep into yogurt and milk)? I've been in newly remodeled apartments before where the new carpet simply reeks of that plasticky-factory smell. As for odor coverage, I've had luck with my dog and those Fresh step deodorant solids (they last 6-8 weeks). Regardless, if it's an apartment, I'd definitely report it to your landlord or management company; toxic smells for months are no good, and they have an obligation to address your concerns.

Hi! Found your blog while looking for info on painting countertops. I found another site that said that after painting them, you should also seal them with THREE coats of polyurethane…I wonder if you would have seen better results that way? Either way, $20 is not a bad investment! :-)

I found this while researching the idea of painting the counters in my home. I am inerested in the idea and found this information very helpful. I now know I need more information about products befor deciding what to use, both in cleaning before and in the sealing after.
    I know I will find as much information as I can before doing anything at all so I don't waste money my or risk being so disappointed with the results. I just can not afford to replace the counters so I need to make sure the choice I make is the right one. I thank you for the helpful information you have olaced here. It is very useful to those of us who care enough to do read what you cared enough to take the time to share with us So thanks again for sharing.

8. Anonymous says

Thanks for trying this out for us all. I have been going back and forth on this product. I too am going to change out countertops so thought why not paint them for a while and see what it is all about. I have wasted $20.00 on much dumber things.

9. Anonymous says

I just painted my counter tops with this same product it looks great! so far so good it was very easy to use and for only 20.00 can't go wrong. This is a quick fix for a cheap price, I'm also planing on saving for new counter tops but this works for now.

10. Anonymous says

This upddate is great! I have been looking for countertop options. I think I may spend the $20 and try this to work for a temporary solution, but I will do as someone advised and I will put on the 3 coats of polyurethane. I know in other projects this has made a huge difference!

11. Anonymous says

I have also read that you need clean the counter tops, then sand to roughen them up a bit and then clean again before you put on a coat of primer, before the actual paint goes on. And I also have read that a coat (or three) of any sealer like polyurethane makes the paint shine, easier to clean and more durable! I would like to eventually replace my countertops but since I don't know how long it will be I am going to do the extra steps. I think your counters look awesome for only a $20 investment! Thanks for the info and pics, now I want to just get started! :) oh and PS my counter tops are probably the same color as your bathroom floor were! Lol I still don't know what the people were thinking when they built this house! :)

12. Anonymous says

I used the rustoleum on my counter tops and it looked great for a while. A very SHORT while. After a few months it started chipping all over. When I picked up the blender, for example, it pulled up paint. If I had it to do over I would sand the counter top before applying the paint and use the polyurethane top coats. Meanwhile that three day cure time is preventing me from tackling it again.

13. Anonymous says

Last year I used Rustoleum countertop paint on my bathroom counter. I sanded first, applied the paint, then immediately applied the chips for a garage floor (they looked like the ones in the $250 kit, but I bought separately), then I scraped off the excess and let dry for a few days. Then applied 3 coats of polyurathane. It turned out incredible! I also used the paint on the blue tile around the tub. Again… great! Now am thinking of trying it on my laminate floor in living room! :)

14. Anonymous says

Did you use a polyacrylic top coat? Ive been researching A LOT on doing this, as my counters are the ugliest orange 70's color you can imagine. I've seen some people say they have used it.. and others didnt mention it.

15. Anonymous says

I have used this product and was very disappointed. My crock pot legs melted the paint, it chip scratched and did not hold up at all. I have now painted my counter top and am going to poly over it. Years ago I used a melamine and it worked great just can't find the product anymore. Love your site

Thanks for the info. That's what I intend to do is use it as a temporary fix til we can afford the several thousand needed to properly redo the kitchen. This really helps the rest of us when you show off your skills ;). I get braver every day… seeing the results of a little hard work and a few dollars…

Hi Sarah, I came across your website when I was researching painted counter tops. I redid my kitchen a bit. i painted my very ugly wooden and gold cabinet handles for pennies by using a metal colored paint. I sanded my handles and painted them. It made the biggest difference in my kitchen and now my kitchen looks like a cute country kitchen just by painting my very ugly hard ward. The former owners painted the cabinets white, which I just updated white and put down peal and stick flooring. i now love my kitchen and so do my guests. I'm always amazed that a small thing can make the biggest difference.

18. Robin says

I plan on re-doing my countertops for a quick makeover and temp. fix..I am excited to get started..I enjoyed reading and learning think I did enough research to get my project started and my kitchen looking alive again..ty :)

19. Anonymous says

You can also use peal and stick flooring on counter tops.
    And also use it for a back splash behind sinks. Just scruff up counter tops with sand paper first.

20. Anonymous says

Thanks so much for the great info, especially the recap. I read some pretty negative reivews on this product, but am still considering it and your blog was very helpful! Especially the recap! If I do this, I'll probably be living with it for two years. If I don't, I have to paint the walls a color I'm not excited about. It's a bit of a rock and a hard place but I'm going to look more into peal and stick as well as applying a sealer to this product.

21. Paul Cassinn says

Been there and done that too Sarah.

We tried painting our countertop as well and it was pretty much a disaster! We first used a solid color (black) and it looked great for a few days, but then the scratches started to appear, and they became the first thing you saw whenever you looked into the kitchen.

We ended up redoing our countertops with a product called the “SpreadStone Countertop Refinishing Kit” made by a company called Daich Coatings. This stuff was a coating made of real stone that you just rolled onto the surface like paint to turn your laminate into a stone countertop.

We were skeptical, but the reviews were good, it looked easy to do and the price was right. We also liked the fact that this was a new stone surface and not paint, so we gave it a try. We are thrilled with the results and would recommend Spreadstone to anyone. Our countertop looks like granite and it has been there for more than a year with NO problems.

If anybody wants to check this stuff out it’s at daichcoatings.com. They have a great video there that shows exactly how it is done. Thanks, Paul.

22. Deborah Orth says

After you use the countertop paint you let it cure for 3 days then put a coating of spar urathane on it to protect it will last for years I have done all my countertops like this and also did a faux finish before the urethane and they look like real granite.

23. Lautie says

I am happy to hear all the different views as we are about to redo our counter tops this very same way. Thanks :-)

24. Juli says

Thanks for the honest analysis! Very helpful to find both the pros and the cons and to see picture/updates after wear and tear.

25. Jo says

Thanks for the pics! I have the exact same counters and I’m looking at the same products, too. I have to buy a mismatched counter to complete the U we created when rearranging the cabinets; the U is currently using that countertop plus a cabinet door. I have been using that door as a countertop for 7 years and this is the year to eliminate it!

• Sarah says

Wow! Lots of luck with that. I’ve got my head swirling around kitchen ideas too!

26. Mandy says

So I redid my counter tops. I went the even cheaper route and did them completely myself. I used this stuff called paint minerals and a sea sponge. I sanded only a little. Then dabbed my sponge all over. Then covered the top with 3 coats of Poly semi gloss. It hasn’t chipped, scratched or ANYTHING. I clean with normal “green” cleaner and its fine. Just thought I’d share.

27. LaVerne says

Thanks for sharing this great information. i’m ready to get started with painting the countertops.

28. Jessica Bosari says

I’m looking into this for the kitchen in a house I’m renting. I think what went wrong for you is that you didn’t put a topcoat on the paint. According to this tutorial from HGTV, (http://www.hgtv.com/home-improvement/painting-your-countertops-for-a-new-look/index.html) you’re supposed to finish the countertop paint with two or three coats of clear acrylic and let it cure for 3 weeks before you subject it to heavy use. I’ll be you would have had no problems with that approach. I know you have other plans for this counter and didn’t care about the long-term outcome, but I thought others might want to know if they are thinking about this for a long-term solution. Great job, by the way!

29. The Butler says

This was exactly what I needed. I actually googled “use laminate countertop paint on vinyl flooring” and after being sidetracked by pinterest results I landed on this site. I have a miniscule enough master bath that I can use the $20 can for the vanity countertop and the floor. I greatly appreciate that you’ve reviewed how they withstood normal use over time and other reviewers experience that the 3 coats of poly make a world of difference in durability. I am redoing much in an effort to put my house on the market but everything is under the expectation that I may not have success selling it and don’t want to make changes that make me hate the house even more than i already do :) So thank you – to you Sarah and all your reviewers!

30. Nichole says

I am thinking of painting the floor in my kids bathroom, doing a grey and white print thing. Do you think it would last the 6-12 months I want before redoing the entire bathroom?? THANK YOU!

• says

Yes, I think it would last that long; it did for me. But it’s definitely only an in-between type of treatment; I wouldn’t recommend it permanently, so it sounds like your situation is a good match. Good luck!

31. laurie says

I used the counter top paint. My counters are now scratched, stained & chipped. Is there anyway to remove this paint, without ruining the laminate underneath?

• says

Considering that it’s an epoxy paint, I’m not sure what kind of effort would need to be done to remove it. I only painted mine because I knew I’d eventually replace the counters with something new (see that here)

32. Kristin says

I have a disgusting old kitchen vinyl floor that I can’t stand to look at any more. Kitchen remodel will not happen for a couple more years. Just wondering about the paint on the floor, were you able to keep it clean easily? Obviously, the kitchen is a pretty high-traffic area, so I’m curious about how the paint cleans up. Enjoyed reading about your experiment!

33. Fran Daniels says

I have a question for you and would appreciate any help you can give me. We are going to paint our counter tops with rustoleum counter top paint in black and I would like to add some sparkle to them as in black granite. I can’t find any thing like I have in mind. Would like it to be flecks of sparkle. All I can find is a real fine silver stuff you add directly to the paint. Any suggestions would be of so much help. Thank you in advance.

• says

Not sure of anything that you can use with that… you may want to try a different paint product altogether (I think it actually has Granite in the name). Here’s another tutorial I found doing a simple Google search and it looks like they used actual glitter! Good luck!

34. Roger Mose says

I have to say I am really happy I came across this post. A friend of mine wanted to but and use this on her bathroom counter tops and I will share this with her so she can decide NOT to use it. In my opinion, it doesn’t seem to work that well…