(If you haven’t figured it out by now, most of my post titles come from song lyrics; today’s is courtesy of one of my favorite rainy day songs).
Well, the weekend didn’t turn out quite like I’d planned. It was mostly because of the rain (pouring all. weekend. long. with big, fat, chilly droplets that only made me want to curl up in bed). But my Dad and our neighborhood handyman, Tony, also had to cancel their trip over to the house, so all of my outdoor improvement plans have to wait another week or so. No matter, though. I spent a long time simply standing in my dining room and contemplating the order of my to-do list.
Do you ever do that? Standing around the unfinished room doesn’t really feel like much is being accomplished, but it helps me to get my thoughts together. I was gathering a full list of activities:
- add casing/molding around the doorways that lead to the kitchen and living rooms
- add casing around the large picture window
- repair any draft/old caulk issues from the same window
- add picture frame molding to the lower half of the walls (below the chair rail that already sits in place)
- find a light fixture for the room
- switch out the old dimmer
- switch out the old thermostat (can anyone tell me more about the Nest thermostats? I’m a bit of a review freak)
- hang plastic sheeting around the doors and sand down the walls (I’m sort of dreading this, sort of excited about it)
- paint the walls
- move the furniture back in
- hang the 2″ white blinds and curtains
- etc. etc.
Not in the correct order, of course. But during that time, I also managed to re-organize all of the furniture so that the living room couch, chairs, and dining room table/chairs fit into the living room (since everything has to go somewhere while I finish the dining room). For the longest time, I’ve simply been walking around the poor placement (under the false assumption that this would be a quick makeover), but now that I know I have to hang plastic sheeting and clear the doorways in order to sand down the walls, I got my butt into gear.
I’m diving back into the dining room project mainly for two reasons: in order to go any further with the living room repainting, I have to get all of the dining room furniture out of the way, and there simply isn’t anywhere else to put it. I don’t want to move it back into its rightful place until the room is ready to finish because I know myself too well; if I just move it back, the room will never get done. And since I’d really like to have my graduation celebration this December at my home (reason #2), the dining room has to be finished by then in order to welcome guests. Besides, I have a break off from school this month, and it seems like exactly the kind of motivation I need to get home tonight and hang that sheeting: a deadline.
I guess getting rained out isn’t necessarily a bad thing when you already have too much to do for one weekend. How was yours?