SORRY, THIS GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED. Congrats to the five winners! Please send me your details so I can get your info to the giveaway sponsor!
When I first moved into the “Ugg-Duck”, there were drafts coming through nearly every window. And considering that my closing took place just before New Years, I got a very freezing cold welcome into my new house. And to top it off, the master bedroom was the worst!
Yes, that’s a gap in my front window (sorry for the blurry pic – this is long before I started paying attention to decent blog photos and I was probably shivering at the time). All the caulk in the world wouldn’t have helped me solve this kind of problem.
GREAT STUFF™ is a maker of expanding foam sealants. I’ve used these products all throughout this very drafty house with two different intentions:
To seal up major (and costly) air flow problems. The old adage of “letting bought air out” certainly rang true for me in the early days of this house. All the heating and cooling I was going to be paying for would be slipping right out through these gaps, and my bank account was going to feel the burn if I didn’t do something about it.
To clean up various other unexpected gaps where caulk wouldn’t suffice:
- There were holes from old knots in my wooden garage door, and painting it white only made them more obvious.
- In the last 30 years of this house settling, there were other exterior gaps that made the house look old and saggy. Aside from aesthetic reasons, it would probably also let bugs and other unwelcome critters in if I didn’t do something about it.
- There was a mysterious small hole in the upstairs hallway ceiling. Remains a mystery as to how it got there.
- And the builders who put my staircase together weren’t concerned about making the treads tight with the risers (they covered all of these issues with carpet), so when I began painting, I needed something that would fill these uneven areas and allow me to get a painted staircase that didn’t look crooked.
- Fill other drafty areas in the house that weren’t on external walls (but could feel air flow and needed something flexible)
As you can probably imagine, an expanding foam sealant like GREAT STUFF does the trick for these kinds of issues very well. So when the company contacted me about a giveaway, I was immediately on board (you can see my pros and cons list in my review here). Seemed like perfect timing when we’re all heading outdoors to take care of our spring projects. Who wouldn’t want to take care of care of draft problems… for free?
And better yet, five of you are getting a bundle of these products. So, let’s get on with it!
EACH GIVEAWAY BUNDLE INCLUDES: GREAT STUFFTM Pest Block, GREAT STUFF™ Gaps & Cracks and GREAT STUFFTM Work Wipes NUMBER OF WINNERS: Five SHIPS: Sorry, U.S. only GIVEAWAY CLOSES: Next Wednesday, April 17th at midnight TO ENTER: Leave a comment to this question (or heck, make up your own question & answer it): What are your DIY home maintenance plans for spring? One entry per person please (so no requirements to follow on Facebook or tweet about this or anything, though I would love it if you did)
Want a few more ideas of how you can use GREAT STUFF sealants around the house? They’ve provided a handy air audit checklist here.
Disclaimer: I was compensated to host this giveaway, but all opinions (no matter how much I ramble) are 100% my own. I have used this brand several times over, and keep relying on them as an expanding, flexible alternative to more complicated and more expensive DIY projects (like replacing and perfectly fitting new stair treads when all I need to do is fill a darn gap too wide for caulk). It’s all about avoiding frustration, people. See my other disclaimers if you like on my page specifically for that.