The Ugly Duckling House was created in April of 2010 as a way for me to share my crazy house stories with my close friends (Fingernails in the fridge? Dog on the roof? Sheesh!). Not long after, it turned into a passionate hobby to share the DIY lessons I’d learned about first-time homeownership and grew a loyal following – which continues to this day.
Who I Am
I’m Sarah. I crack jokes about the good, the bad, and the very, very ugly truth of what my experience is like as a single homeowner. I’m still learning the ropes of DIY remodeling and I’m not afraid to show the grit and share my new vocabulary as I fumble around this house.
I’m not your typical home blogger, I suppose. I LOVE traveling, power tools, and rarely do crafts (even though I have a whole room meant for them… someday). I work full time, blog about 4 times per week, and on weekends attend graduate school for my MBA (Finance/Marketing). I’ve become a master of time management and have just recently begun a series on the subject for this site.
Want to know more about me? There’s a whole page on that right here.
At a Glance
|3.6+ MIL Pinterest followers||3,000+ RSS subscribers||1,600+ Facebook|
|60 Klout Score|
Who Visits This Site
The majority of my readers are DIYers with a passion for learning how to do things they may not have done before. They desire thrifty finds, clever ideas, and home decor inspiration. They are interested in products or services related to home improvement, power tools, and decorative items.
Taken from Alexa web analytics: “Based on internet averages, uglyducklinghouse.com is visited more frequently by females who are in the age range 25-34, have children, are college educated, and browse this site from work.”
Social Media = My Jam
The Ugly Duckling House understands the power of social media. In addition to studying it from an academic perspective with my MBA, this blog has worked with recognizable home improvement brands. After a while, other sites started noticing The Ugly Duckling House – and they have some really nice things to say!
Top Blog Lists
- Top 10 Home Improvement Blogs – My Life Scoop
- Top 10 Home Improvement Blogs – Blogs.com
- Top 4 Home Improvement Blogs – Interior Design HQ
- #4 – Top 100 DIY Sites for Home Improvement Fanatics
- Business Insider Feature
- Bob Vila Nation - Featured Contributing Blogger
- Babble.com - The New Home Ec: 12 Gold Leaf Projects
- Cool Site Spotlight from BrightNest
- BobVila.com Feature: Blog Star of 2012
DIY Blog Features:
- Pinterest Challenge co-host with Our Fifth House, Bower Power and Young House Love
- House of Hepworths
- The Better Half/One Project Closer
- Ten June
- Better After
- East Coast Creative
- The Incredibles: The Ugly Duckling House - Home Made by Carmona
- HelloInterview: Meet Sarah Fogle – MBA Student and DIY Home Improvement Blogger – HelloSociety
Television and Video
- Commercial feature as an online expert for the Oreck VersaVac (airing on channels like the DIY Network, HGTV, Biography Channel, Oprah Winfrey Network, Cloo TV, Fox News, and Documentary Channel)
- Interview with HGTV’s Design on a Dime host, Kristin Cunningham
- Interview with HGTV’s (Designed to Sell, Curb Appeal, and Elbow Room) host, Chip Wade
Brands I’ve worked with:
Guest Posts, Features, Blog Swaps, Submissions
My definition of a “guest post” or “feature”:
- You have a personal blog or are a regular reader of The Ugly Duckling House and have no site affiliation
- You are looking to brag about your own DIY project or tutorial (and why wouldn’t you? I’m sure it’s great!)
- There are no embedded or affiliate links.
I love to feature hard work and give kudos to a job well done, especially when it’s from another blogger or one of my readers. These kinds of project posts are certainly welcome because they are win-win: you get to show off to an audience ready to gobble up a before and after, and I get a wee break from blogging to pay attention to important things (like, um, showering). Feature requests can be sent via my contact page.
Sorry, but generic home tip articles, infographics, freelance submissions, roundup posts that do not feature a personal project or tutorial, and articles with embedded links from brands or commercial websites are not permitted as guest posts on this blog. The reason for this is simple: readers are smart and typically don’t like these kinds of posts because the article isn’t consistent with the usual tone and content of this site. If you would like to promote your brand, product, or services, I would instead recommend purchasing ad space (either on my sidebar or at the end of my blog posts – purchasing ad space is very easy!). There are several options available, and I am happy to explain if you have any questions.
Advertising & Sponsored Posts
Sidebar ad space and sponsored post ads are available for purchase directly on my advertising page. Click on the option of your choosing and follow the prompts for payment. Sorry, text link ads and embedded links within existing posts are not offered.
Got a great product that you would like me to try out? Fantastic! I’m especially interested in new products or sneak peeks at events that others may not know about. Please keep in mind:
- I will typically charge a fee for reviewing your product. This is because of the amount of time it takes to try your product and write the post for the review, as well as any additional work that may be necessary to host a giveaway with the review. Please contact me for rates.
- I am interested in reviewing products or services that are the right fit in terms of this blog and it’s content as it relates to do-it-yourself home improvement or decorating.
- If you do decide to ship something, there is no guarantee that I can or will use it within a specific time frame – DIY takes time, as does my job, school, and the hours I use to let my brain recover (some call this sleeping – it’s more of a nap for me these days). However, I will do my best to provide you with info on the type of project I have in mind and keep you updated on its progress.
- Please provide a sample product to me (for the review) and make one available to give away to my readers (to try the product themselves). I ask that you send me only the product that I will review and for the reader sample, wait until the giveaway winner shipping information is provided to you so it can be shipped directly to the winner (so that I don’t have to ship it myself).
- My honest opinions are what you’ll get, so if I love it, I’ll shout it from the rafters to thousands of my closest friends (and possibly even add it to my favorite tools list). If I don’t, I will let you know via email why it didn’t work. See this post for an example of one of my reviews.
If you are not a regular sponsor of The Ugly Duckling House but are interested in promoting your product, please note that I charge a fee to host giveaways (email for rates). As with product reviews, the giveaway must be for a product or service relevant to the typical content of this blog (I like the boxer brief as much as the next gal – but unless you strap a laser level on it, I’m not sure I can work it into a post about my bathroom remodel, k?).
If you would like to offer a discount for my readers in addition to your sponsorship, please let me know (ex: enter offer code “UDH” for a 10% discount at checkout). This is optional, but it may help increase traffic to your site. After all, my readers are on the lookout for great products at a great price!
This blog is the personal blog of Sarah Fogle. If you haven’t already, please read my full disclaimer page. Primarily, these two sections:
- In the interest of full honesty and transparency, any free products that I receive, products or services provided at a discounted rate, or giveaways that I host are fully disclosed as such. I make every effort to disclose free product/sponsorship so that you always know that the review or opinion provided is 100% mine, both positive and negative.
Example disclaimer on a giveaway/sponsorship page: Disclaimer: This canvas printing giveaway is sponsored by UPrinting. This post (and others) may contain sponsored links. Check out UPrinting.com for more details about canvas sizes. Please also see my Disclaimer page for additional details on giveaway and advertising policies.
- In selecting sponsorship, I try to select only those related to the content that you’ll find on this site and that which will appeal to my readers (i.e. home improvement, crafting, etc). However, I have no way of pre-screening each item that you may discover through this site. Purchases made through these linked affiliates must be handled between you and that vendor or company.
The Ugly Duckling House reserves the right to modify or add to the above policies at any time.