Pinterest and I have a love/hate relationship right now. I love being inspired, but its eye candy overload: I get distracted from things I should be doing, like working on the as yet unfinished drywall repair in the bathroom. Instead, I wind up working on projects I shouldbe saving for a rainy day – like my new office map art that I made with gold leaf.
It just so happens that it’s been pouring this week. My blogging friends are also total enablers, and come up with awesome share spectacles like the Pinterest Challenge. I have been able to resist the temptation previously (okay, I’ll admit that I have just been too swamped to participate), but decided I’d give it a shot using this pinned image as inspiration:
|Original post found here.|
After painting the study-o, I noticed some old (and might I add, hideously unfinished and uninspired) canvas in the closet. Canvases this size aren’t cheap, so it’s better to reuse them if you can. I simply took some leftover wall paint and covered the canvas to start fresh.
I then began the painstaking process of transferring a map outline I found on the computer to my freshly covered canvas. I guess you could say I went old school with my transfer method:
1. Scale the computer image to size, print it out, and tape the pieces of paper together.
2. Then, grab a pencil.
Flip the entire taped paper image over, and using a strong light source (enough to somewhat see the dark outline through the paper), rub the pencil lead along every part of the outline.
3. Flip the image back over again, and using a more careful hand this time, trace along the outline. When you lift up the paper, you’ll have a clean (and probably light) pencil outline of the transferred image.
Next up: the Midas touch. I used an adhesive pen specially made for gold leaf and yet again traced along the map outline. I also used the pen to color in entire sections. Because the glue becomes tacky and ready for gold leaf in only five minutes, I took the project in small sections.
The toughest part was not touching the gold leaf. Exposure to finger oils can tarnish the leaf, and it’s hard not to apply each sheet as a whole. To remove the extra, I used a soft paint brush. Flakes can be reused for additional applications (and to fill in gaps), so I collected them in a bag to keep them from flying everywhere (those delicate little suckers will waft all over the place with a single breath).
After hours and hours of this process, I had as close to a finished product as I’m ever going to get. A little sealer, and I was ready to hang my new study-o art:
I’m pleased with how it turned out. I even like the imperfections that make it look worn and old (every office needs a few aged pieces). So now that my Pinterest Challenge needs have been met, maybe now I can go back to the bathroom.
That didn’t sound right.