Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links, which means I may make a commission if you decide to make a purchase through one of my links, at no cost to you.
This weekend was one of those where a LOT of stuff got done. I was on a roll (no pun intended) with the primer (and also successfully getting. it. everywhere.). Mom and Granny came over again to help me tackle some of the other projects (like Mt. Washmore and painting another wall in the living room). And we even took Granny to Hooters for lunch (we expected it to be a laugh riot; it wasn’t).
But there were also a few speedbumps, like the rain. In my pursuit of a perfect paint finish on these cabinets, I’ve opted to wait one more day’s dry time between the primer and the first coat of paint. It’s absolutely killing me to wait. Considering that I already live in a humid climate, extra wait time for the right finish is probably something that I should have planned for anyway (especially when the between-coat wait time is going to be 16 hours). So maybe the rain is a blessing in disguise. A very soggy, frustrating, stressful blessing.
I’ve also just realized that this is the most complicated corner in my house. For one, the space is so tight that the upper drawer wouldn’t come out unless I opened the oven door. For another, the narrow cabinet next to the stove where I keep all of my cookie sheets is too narrow for my cordless drill. Which means I have to turn the screws for the hinges by hand. Which is very difficult to do on 30-year-old screws that don’t want to budge and would rather strip. So I’m going to have to go to the store to pick up a short screwdriver that will hopefully do the job (I got the top one out; the bottom one is still thwarting my every countermove). Any tips from experience?
And in a funny sidenote: Charlie gets a little too excited when my grandmother comes over, and a small elderly woman/energetic dog simply don’t mix well. So Charlie had to stay up in the guest bedroom for a little while to calm down. When I went up to retrieve her, I realized that she somehow had locked herself in the damn room. Wtf. After a few minutes trying to figure out how I might break in, I realized that the knob was pre-equipped for minor irritations like this, and opened it back up by using a butter knife to turn the groove in the front of the knob. When I opened the door, Charlie was sitting upright on the guest bed, perfectly pleased to see me.
And that’s the day I realized I have a toddler in a fur suit. Except for the locking unsupervised in the bedroom part. Pretty sure you can’t do that with children.