Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links, which means I may make a commission if you decide to make a purchase through one of my links, at no cost to you.
Yup. This project has been going on long enough. And since last year’s Staircase Showdown with Kit was excellent for getting me off my lazy
ass bones to make over the front entryway, I’m invoking its motivational powers once again. If you missed it the first time, the gist is pretty simple: a blog friend and I talked some smack, squared off, and both redid the same part of our house. We then posted about it each week as a way to stay on task (since we both had trouble finishing a project, the extra oomph from knowing the other person would be posting their weekly progress whether we accomplished anything or not made us press on). Nothing like a little friendly competition, right?
This Dueling DIY project is actually starting a little early, believe it or not, since the intent was to wait until the dining room for another battle project (which I’m still going to do), but after Carrie from Brick City Love reached out to me about how long her kitchen renovation was taking (we’re talkin’ 2012, folks), I figured there was plenty reason for us to give it a shot. Also because Carrie was surprisingly convincing when she sent me a picture of her holding a nail gun like she’s one of Charlie’s Angels. And a look on her face like she smells fear. Oh, it’s on, my friend.
We’re both (somewhat) midway through these projects already, and both desperately need them finished in order to move on. Not being able to cook in your own house (and watching the dust collect on the stove) is very unappetizing. So, I drafted up a little logo for us and we’re on our way!
Like last time, I’m going to start by looking at the list of what must be done before I can call this kitchen livable. That’s the goal. Not perfect, but done. And while that may seem like breaking the rules at first glance, it’s still a very long list, and I am very skilled at procrastinating with all of it:
- installing backsplash tile – the mastic (groan), the fighting gravity (ugh), and the grouting (I hope I’m drunk for this part; it’s the only way I’ll make it through)
- secret project involving my nail gun (I can’t wait to show you this one)
- kitchen organization (you mean you shouldn’t store your dishes in the living room? Huh.)
- re-hanging cabinet doors (no, Sarah, putting the door in front of the cabinet it’s supposed to be hanging from is not the same thing)
- installing hardware on the doors
- removing two godawful layers of wallpaper (oh yes, the ugly is multi-ply this time)
- patching the walls (after I go nuts and just start tearing at drywall to get the wallpaper off), then painting them
- adding molding to the upper cabinets
- hopefully no plumbing nightmares to deal with
Eh, that’s good enough for the list, but as you might already be aware, smack talk is the funniest part. So, Carrie, know this: I’m not afraid. And unlike you, I have running water already. Yeah, I said it. What?
(P.S. Don’t forget, each week we’d love it if you shared your own kitchen progress pictures, so consider this a call to action each Wednesday. Leave your links in the comments!)