Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links, which means I may make a commission if you decide to make a purchase through one of my links, at no cost to you.
I’ve already shared my Granny’s kolache recipe, but it’s time for another one of her favorites! These Czechoslovakian cookies are a crumbly, sweet cookie bar that we make every Christmas.
Czechoslovakian Cookie Recipe
I love it when I get to share a little more of my Granny with you guys. Over time, I’ve realized that our family’s Christmas stories are some of my favorites here on the blog. And, they make me feel more connected to her to look at her handwritten recipes, especially around the holidays.
So, today’s post is just like the cookie recipes I shared here and here. Family favorites, all. Simply put, these Czech cookie bars are basically a buttery, nutty cookie bar with layers of strawberry jam. They go pretty fast in our family!
The way they’re served is a lot like when you make brownies, in that you eventually find a preference for the outer pieces (with that slightly more baked edge) or the inner ones. I’m strongly in favor of the inner pieces, but to each their own. Onto the recipe…Print
These Czechoslovakian cookies are a crumbly, sweet cookie bar that we make every Christmas. It’s an easy crowd pleaser and perfect for a cookie swap.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- Yield: 24 cookies 1x
- Category: dessert
- 1/2 lb. softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 to 1 cup strawberry jam
- Mix all ingredients well (you can cream the butter and sugar together first, but we’ve often just mixed the whole thing as a single mixture). Take half of the mixture and layer in a greased 8×8 pan.
- Spread half of the jam on top, over the dough layer.
- Spread the remaining dough on top of the jam layer.
- Add remaining jam, spreading thinly.
- Top lightly with more chopped nuts.
- Bake at 350 º for 1 hour.
- Cut into squares & place on rack to cool.
Pecans are an excellent substitute for walnuts if you have a preference.
Correction added 12/30 to change the pan size; the (handwritten) original recipe implied a double batch for a 9×11 pan.