Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links, which means I may make a commission if you decide to make a purchase through one of my links, at no cost to you.
Last week while I was on vacation, I had a couple of posts pre-scheduled to publish when I knew I’d be preoccupied with things like sunbathing and rum-sipping. I have to admit, I absolutely love the WordPress phone app simply because it lets me moderate comments on the go. And as it turns out, it was a good thing I could approve them poolside – my post asking for your opinion on home décor trends you’re tired of seeing got a ton of activity!
Some of your comments really cracked me up (and granted, I was in a delightfully relaxed mood anyway thanks to the
rum beach). For the most part, I agreed and laughed right along with you. It was all in good fun, and nice to see that so many of you took it for exactly what it was meant to be (as a matter of personal opinion, not an excuse to bash someone else’s choices). The category was also pretty broad: some of you mentioned a trend you think is overdone, while others mentioned trends that they simply don’t “get” or aren’t into themselves. A lot of you also agreed that Pinterest and blogs tend to “burn out” trends faster than before. But I also noticed something else: a lot of you share the same dislike for certain trends. As I kept reading, it sort of turned into something like this in my head:
“Ha, another reader who is tired of chevron.” Sip.
“Yup, pallet wood. Expected that.” Sip.
“Ha. Ikat, Ombre, and mustaches. Yep, yep, yep.” Sip. Sip. Sip.
I also like to read other blogs from a reader app on my phone. As I moved through the blogroll, I kept sipping every time I saw one of the items featured in someone else’s post. Without even trying, I started playing a drinking game… and spurred the idea for a fun Friday post!
Ready to get started? Here’s how you play:
Drink one for every time you see one of the following items mentioned by you guys from the Reader Remarks post:
- sunburst mirrors
- subway tile
- gray walls (just take my home tour and you’ll probably get a good buzz from this alone)
- “Keep Calm” signs and other word art
- gallery walls
- distressed furniture
- oil-rubbed bronze (ORB)
- Shaker style cabinets (I was surprised at this one; most of you have come to dislike them simply because of difficulty cleaning them)
- empty picture frames
- books sorted by color or covered to get them to match on shelves
- animal heads
- mason jars
- spray painting everything white
- maps everywhere
- polished brass
- painted upholstery
Drink two every time you see a blogger doing one of the following common blogger habits (not necessarily bad habits – this wasn’t a part of the Reader Remarks post, but I think these are a fun way to spice up the game):
- using periods after. every. single. word.
- apologizing for not blogging
- using “wah-lah” (or similar) instead of voilà
- using a food item in reference to a growing fetus – peanut, cashew, bean, etc. (I wonder what I’ll use if/when? Hmm. Tic-tac sounds good.)
- hashtags with no link purpose (#justkidding)
- exclamation point party!!!!!!!!
- a blog post featuring only Instagram photos
Finish your drink if you find more than five of the above in any single post (and now I kind of want to also turn this into a bingo game).
I would LOVE it if you had more of your own rules to add to this list (comment below and I’ll update the post when I see some good ones!). Have a great weekend!