Disclosure: this post may contain affiliate links, which means I may make a commission if you decide to make a purchase through one of my links, at no cost to you.
This week we’re bringing you a scrumptious crostini appetizer with herbed goat cheese and roasted cherry tomatoes. These crostini are not only tasty finger foods, but they’re also beautiful!
Hey there! It’s Pam and Sara, popping in again from Biscuits & Burlap. Did you know the Ugly Duckling House was delving into the foodie world? We’re so exciting to be sharing some of our favorite recipes with all Sarah’s readers! If you missed our official introduction (including some of our readers’ favorite recipes) definitely check it out. Our first post brought you Limoncello Cucumber Coolers and it’s not too late to make them before the summer heat dies down!
What is a “crostini”?
Crostini are one of the best appetizers to take to your next party because they’re so easy and versatile! Basically, a crostini is anything on top of a little piece of toasted bread. In this case, we used a toasted baguette slice as the base to make our own homemade crostini instead of buying premade.
Can you get enough goat cheese? I’m telling you, I could live off of this stuff. Herbed goat cheese is something we make at home when we need a quick and easy appetizer (like when the neighbors stop by unexpectedly!) and it really is one of my favorite spreads. We like them especially during the holiday season when the last thing we need to do is add something complex to the to-do list.
We usually mix the whipped goat cheese with cream cheese, a little olive oil, lemon zest, crushed red pepper, salt, and whatever fresh herbs we have on hand. Mash it all together and spread it on the little toasted bread. Instant delicious appetizer!
Today we’re taking it a step farther by topping that creamy goat cheese mixture with sweet roasted cherry tomatoes. Cut your cherry tomatoes in half and toss them in olive oil, kosher salt, freshly round black pepper, and garlic. Roast them cut side up for 30-40 minutes. Let the tomatoes cool before spooning them on top of the prepared crostini. Add a little balsamic vinegar reduction for some extra flavor if you want. Delish!
Looking for more ideas? Here are some other tasty crostini toppings!
- Seasoned cream cheese with leftover Thanksgiving turkey and cranberry sauce
- Guacamole and esquites (Mexican corn salad)
- Horseradish sauce and thinly sliced cajun beef tenderloin
Herbed Goat Cheese Crostini Recipe with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
These crostini with roasted cherry tomatoes and herbed goat cheese are the perfect party appetizers — so beautiful and easy!
- 1 french baguette slices, toasted
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4–5 basil leaves, chopped
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- drizzle of balsamic glaze (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mash goat cheese and next 6 ingredients together until well-blended. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Toss tomato halves in remaining ingredients (except balsamic vinegar) and spread on baking sheet, cut side up, in a single layer. Roast 30-40 minutes.
- (Optional) Bring 1 cup of balsamic vinegar to a gentle boil in a small saucepan, then reduce to medium-low heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes to make a glaze.
- Let toast and tomatoes cool to room temperature.
- Spread goat cheese mixture on toasted bread. Top with a spoonful of tomato mixture. Garnish with more fresh herbs and a drizzle of balsamic reduction if desired.
What else do you like to put on crostini?